Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Listening to two DVD-Audios: Bach/St. Matthew Passion/Harnoncourt (Teldec) and Mozart/Figaro (Naxos)

>> How would you know? <<

I did ask you where the horsepower was — Go on, open it up and use your electronics background to identify the DSP chip(s) and their capabilities. Or ask Panny if you can’t figure out what’s inside.

>> Just because it doesn't have a SHARC? Do you think a player that can do DPLII (which require reasonable processing power) would somehow run out of steam managing a memory buffer? <<

But DPLII is NOT hirez. Everything becomes a LOT easier in 48/16! :)

>> And in future, I would suggest you keep your racist comments to yourself. I thought the manual was reasonably readable. <<

That's not racist. It’s a truism. It is fair to say that most Japanese consumer companies, whilst they can design and make good products, are invariably guilty of writing terrible manuals for their English speaking customers. I certainly wouldn’t be alone in saying that.

>> *** And I note they don’t give a freq response spec for the DVD-A - to - DPLII conversion!! *** Ahh, I see. No facts, just opinion and innuendo. <<

OK Chistine, show me a spec which shows DPLII with a freq-response output specification exceeding 22kHz?
b.t.w. I found one from Dolby, and it only goes up to 20kHz.

>> As you wish. Hint: why does REL recommend corner placement? Is it because reflections reinforce bass? In that case, wouldn't it be logical for them to recommend the most reflective material, rather than the least? Think about it. You can't have it both ways: a non reflective room, but strong bass from corner positioning (which requires reflection). <<

I’ll say it again: REL recommends BRICK walls for best sound. Brick is DENSE. It doesn’t add resonance noise (whereas plasterboard and other such wall materials certainly would). As for any stray mid & high frequencies, most of these are taken care of by the abundance of carpet & soft furnishings in my room (as I have explained). Indeed, when I click my fingers, there is no echo (unlike when I do this in my tiled bathroom or kitchen).

>> It could be. Or perhaps it may sound even better without [AL24]. <<

And as they say, Christine, ignorance is bliss.

>> Why should I review it? It's my friend's player. I only review review samples supplied by the distributor when asked to do so, not random players.<<

Christine, because its our hobby. i.e. you "enjoy" it. Anyway, you once said that MichaelDVD didn’t pay you to do the reviews, since you do it on an amateur basis. (Just as I don’t get paid to write reviews in HFR.) So what’s the problem?

And not that I doubt you for a second, but how do we know you haven’t just made-up some key aspect of this 'friend / DVD-A11' story to suit your argument? After all, you were not wholesome with the truth when you said that the manual, and I quote: " . . . states that the speaker distance settings apply to all listening modes including DVD-Audio"
When it doesn’t "state" that at all.

p.s. I’m looking forward to the photo of the -A11 hooked up to your MF A5s . . . :-)

>> In fact I think he bought two (he got scared when my RP82 broke down). But then, he can afford it, if you think my amps are overkill you don't want to know how much he has spent on amps (think Class A 400 watts monoblocks, which he has now traded for something even more obscenely expensive. <<

Ah, so you DO admit that 'overkill' is a means to impress in your social circles. ;-)

>> I said to him, just bi-amp everything and spend twice the money :-) <<

There we go again: 'overkill'. You do like it. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.