Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Listening to two DVD-Audios: Bach/St. Matthew Passion/Harnoncourt (Teldec) and Mozart/Figaro (Naxos)

*** Nope, the DVD-S97S manual I've just read doesn’t. I’ve read the PDF, and there’s absolutely no specific mention of "DVD-Audio" under the "delay time" speaker setup section. ***

You will note that whenever a feature only works on a particular media type, the manual will always explicitly note the contraint. No constraint means feature is available for all media.

In any case, i don't need time alignment so i don't care whether the player has it or not.

*** Uh, so Denon wasted their time by specifying, not one, but TWO 32bit floating-point SHARC DSP processors to do realtime high-sample-rate & 24bit BM & TA for DVD-A? ;-) ***

And the point is? So, only players with twin SHARC processors are able to do time alignment?

*** That’s funny, since DPLII works up to 48kHz/16bit. ***

where did you get this? it's certainly not in the manual, which says DPLII works on "all" stereo sources.

*** The anaglypta lining is a ** soft ** polymer. Also, the main speakers are now angled slightly upwards and inwards thus avoiding perpendicular angles with the walls, and are aimed at the listener position, i.e. a large 3-seater suede sofa! Don’t forget there’s another heavily padded sofa by the adjacent wall. ***

Why don't you do an impulse measurement? Then you will know for sure. Just don't be too surprised at the results!

*** They absolutely don’t resonate like wood or plasterboard. ***

Uhmm, what makes you say so? Really, you say the funniest things sometimes! Do you check any of your assumptions before posting them as "facts"? have you even read articles on room treatments?

*** I simply ** don’t believe ** that you need as many watts as you are implying for yours (or my) normal listening levels. ***

Remember the URL to the calculator I posted a while ago. Put in the numbers and do the maths yourself.

Remember though that the inverse square law applies. The further you are away from the speakers, the more power is required (exponentially). It's easy to get away with a 20w amplifier and not clip if you sit really really close to the speakers. :-)

*** And I do know a struggling amp when I hear one! And mine ain't struggling ***

How would you know? Have you done measurements? Do you know exactly when your amp starts to clip? (Hint - it's usually far below the rated power. So much for "headroom". The rated power of an amp is when the clipping reaches the level of 1% THD, so every amp at rated power is ALREADY clipping). if you do a plot of THD vs power, you find that it decreases (at low levels the THD is dominated by the noise floor), hits a low point (usually around 0.1%, but on a good amp 0.01% or even lower) and then starts rising exponentially. The point where it starts rising is the clipping point. An amp rated at 100 watt may well start clipping at 50-80W or perhaps even lower.

And m-ch power amps lie. When they say 100W per channel, they mean 100w with just one channel operating. With 5-7 channels all blasting away, the rated power may be as low as 30W - which means it probably starts to clip at 20W!

Now you have a much smaller room than mine, so it may well be that you are okay, since you will be a lot closer to the speakers. But don't assume - might be worthwhile measuring!

*** Firstly, I'm not convinced of that (and, in any case, you didn't test my player). ***

How do you know I haven't tested the A11? A friend of mine has one (I did say i've listened to it on my system ...). In any case, test it yourself. it's easy to do.

*** Moreover, and despite all of this, you still rate Denon DVCD-A1/-9000 as an ideal sounding player. ***

Uhmm, i didn't say that. i just said it was gorgeous sounding, and i wouldn't mind buying one.

*** IMO, if a recording ever gets right to 0db (i.e. top-of-scale amplitude level) then the engineer has made a bad mistake anyway. In such a case, you can bet your ‘bottom dollar’ that there are many more transients that would try to overshoot by a considerable margin and clip any ADC. So the point is moot. ***

You obviously don't understand what 0dBFS+ is. Or how prevalent it is on recordings.

*** Oh, yes it can! You can switch it off via the firewire setting, coupled with setting ‘Source-Direct’. ***

Thanks, didn't know that! I guess I was bitching about my old Denon amp, which wasn't defeatable.

*** And it didn’t stop you saying the -9000/-A1 sounded "gorgeous", even with its (first-generation) AL24 engaged. ;-) ****

And it does sound gorgeous! Doesn't stop me from wishing I could turn AL24 off though (and I don't think I can on this player, but I could be wrong.)

*** FWIW my new Storm 5 goes down to 15Hz! ***

Have you actually measured what the "real" response is in your room? Specs for subwoofers are meaningless, the room will actually constrain how low you can go (regardless of what the driver is capable of). My subwoofer specs say it will go down to 20 Hz, but the room constrains it to a min of 26 Hz. And as I recall, your room is a lot smaller than mine.

*** As I said, my present -A11 player is ** much better ** sounding than the prototype one which you heard. ***

Good on you. I know how the A11 sounds like, I have a friend who owns one, and we've listened to it a few times at my place.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread

You can not post to an archived thread.