Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Simple

*** Why did you decide to go off on this tangent anyway? ***

Because you dared to imply that DVD-A Navigation is anything but seamless.

I was trying my best to stay out of this thread, as evector and I have already thrashed this issue before, but I had an interesting experience last night.

After all the discussion about Arts Music SA-CDs in the other forum, I took out my Arts Music DVD-A for Vivaldi's L'Estro Armonico Vol 2 and played it.

In m-ch mode of course, it played fine. I just inserted disc in tray, and pressed Play. The back cover claims there are "2 high resolution stereo channels" so this pique my interest, and I decided to search for them. I was determined NOT use to the video display and see if I can find these just using the remote control and front panel display.

Well, what a journey that turned out to be. My player does not display any information on the current audio track so I was navigating blindly. I first tried the Audio button. Nothing happened, so I guessed the stereo track is not encoded as a parallel track in Group 1.

I tried navigating across Groups. There seems to be six Groups, with the first three containing music. Groups 1 and 2 appear to be m-ch, and Group 3 appears to be 2ch, so it appears I have found one of the audio tracks. I couldn't find any evidence of the second 2ch track.

Finally, after about 15 mins, I gave up, inserted the disc into PowerDVD, and confirmed that Group 1 was MLP 5.1, Group 2 was DD 5.1, and Group 3 was MLP 2.0. There was no way (unlike on your player) I could have verified this without a video display.

The elusive second 2ch track turns out to be a separate LPCM 2.0 96/24 track encoded on the DVD-Video section of the disc. There is of course no way I can access this track without a video display, since I need to go into setup to change the player to read the DVD-Video directory instead of the DVD-Audio directory. And of course, on evector's player, this track would be impossible to navigate to.

After this experience, I tried a second Arts Music disc (Shostakovich Symphonies 5 & 6) which also claimed to have dual 2ch tracks. After an even longer search (which I won't detail for the sake of brevity) I discovered this was another mislabelled disc. There is NO 2ch track on either DVD-Audio or DVD-Video content. Of course, the only way I could confirm was again to insert into PowerDVD.

Oh well, thanks for reminding me how painful DVD-A navigation is :-) I haven't yet copied these two discs onto my HTPC, but I think after last night's experience, I will (or at least, the one with the 2ch tracks).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.