Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Groups, Tracks, and true random access . . .

>> " If all else fails, one could always write down a pre-determined navigation sequence on the disc's case for reference.<<

I think this is a grossly exaggerated issue. Moreover, it doesn't seem to me that the Ayre does anything special in terms of navigation that other DVD-A players don't already do. (Although I am sure that it's a finer sounding player than most others out there.)

F.W.I.W. I now have about 120 DVD-As (including DualDiscs with DVD-A content) and I can navigate every one easily without the monitor turned on and get to the 2-ch track (where applicable) without getting up from my sofa. In fact, I always play my DVDAs with "Pure Direct" set to turn off all video circuits and there are numerous DVDAs where I've never even seen the menus.

In short, my memory is not so bad that I would ever need to resort to writing a 'cheat card'. ;-)

b.t.w. Importantly for me, I can go directly to any Group, and any Track whilst the disc is playing. i.e. true random access. I don't need to ‘stop’ the disc spinning during play. For example, I use it to A-B compare a hirez 2ch track with its 5.1 counterpart in a matter of seconds.

On my Denon A11 remote, during play I simply press the "Display" button once, then type the Group number and "Enter"; and I then press the "Right" arrow and type Track number (which includes use of the +10 button to get to any track number up to a theoretical 99), then press "Enter". And 'presto': One second later, the machine is playing the desired Track on a different Group. Granted, it’s still manual, but I like it. And it’s totally flexible.

Whilst doing this, I even see the Group and Track selections indicated on the front LED for confirmation. So it’s not even a ‘blind’ process.

Thereafter, during the session, i.e. until I next press "Stop", I do not need to press "Display" again when selecting Groups & Tracks in this way. Of course I do need the remote to do this -- but again, I've never seen that as a problem, especially as it means I do not have to get up from my comfy sofa.

N.B. The Panasonic DVD-A user-interface (with its 'Group' button on the remote) is even simpler than the "no-monitor" process described for the Denon.

In contrast, with SACD on that player, I have to stop the player, go to the front panel, and set the SACD setting to 2ch or multichannel, before I can start the session (i.e. before I insert the disc). That is not flexible: In short, with SACD I cannot do A-B comparisons without getting up from my sofa and stopping everything.

Of course, this is a slight digression, since you are just talking about stereo, but I figured my experience puts DVD-A flexibility & navigation issues into a better perspective.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Groups, Tracks, and true random access . . . - Martin419 13:40:06 09/17/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.