Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Have we come full circle yet?

I did get my answer from Pioneer today. Here it is, in its unedited entirety:

“Thanks for the e-mail

Pioneer: Yes, the DSD is being sent out the i-link connections.”

So. . .

It is my belief, supported by Dave’s references to dr1394’s tests/posts and the above answer from Pioneer, that I’m indeed listening to the DSD data stream on the SACD’s I play on the DV47ai via the iLINK (aka Firewire aka IEEE1394) connection to the 55Txi via the “SACD Direct” option on that receiver. This option, as stated in the owner’s manual, “allows you to enjoy 1-bit DSD high-quality sound directly from an SACD component, bypassing the [receiver’s] DSP circuitry”.

Regarding Pioneer’s inclusion of the iLINK interface on its products before the spec for DSD over IEEE1394 was finalized, this of course would not have been the first time a company has rushed a product out to market in such a way, simply in order to be first with a new feature. We’ve all seen it happen in the computer industry.

What I forgot to mention in all this discussion so far is why I listen in this way (via the Firewire): use of the Firewire interface has been one of the biggest improvements I’ve ever made in my audio system, in terms of eliminating grunge and enhancing the realism of whatever recording I’m playing, whether it’s a CD, SACD, or DVD-A. I’m not saying that there aren’t better systems out there (as there surely are!) – only that the Firewire interface has been a significant source of sonic improvement within my own system.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.