Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: truly pathetic

if you read what i said carefully, i *wasn't* praising myself. i'm just stating facts. there *is* a difference.

i happen to be lucky in possessing good analytical skills and a near photographic memory, which is all you need to get good results (oh, and i'm very opinionated, which helps in English). i've never really studied all that hard, and once surprised a teacher who suspected me of cheating, by sitting down in front of him, and writing out his class notes verbatim from memory. and in university, the faculty wasn't very happy with me because i wasn't very good at attending classes (i was working "part time", but actually i was working nearly 30 hours a week). and i did lots of things outside school - for one thing, hanging around studios, playing music etc. :-)

the point of quoting all that was to show that academic excellence doesn't actually mean much in the real world. despite coming first in every course that i've done, i'm not the Supreme Ruler of the Galaxy, and i'm not even the top dog in my organisation. so i always laugh at people who trumpet their academic qualifications, as if that meant anything.

and the real point was basically to support my point about media interviews. journalists as you know write the story they want to write, which is not necessarily the story you want them to talk about. in hindsight, i'm glad i didn't get interviewed when i was in high school - i only found out about it afterwards because all my friends said "where were you? there's a reporter who has been looking for you for hours!" - in the end my name got mentioned in two papers, but they did a "profile" on someone else.

PS - i know about the tendency for Chinese students to focus on studying above anything else. I'm glad my parents weren't pushy - they basically said I can do anything I want, and I did. And you probably know that I definitely *don't* suffer from a lack of personality :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: truly pathetic - Christine Tham 14:54:10 08/07/05 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.