Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Some observations . . .

. . . Remember when a Meridian advisory said that the DualDisc CD side work fine in all its machines EXCEPT its most recent ones which read the data in computer fashion like a CD-ROM drive, and which subsequently perform the D-to-A only when the data is in its large RAM buffer?

Incidentally, my Denon A11 does just the same thing as the Meridian. Its "transport" section is basically a high-speed DVD-ROM / CD-ROM drive. In addition, the discs when played in it do NOT spin at normal speed: They spin a DOUBLE speed.

Basically, all the data goes into its 8MB RAM and subsequent error-correction & AL24 DSP etc. (prior to going to the DACs) is performed by a CPU in software. A positive effect of that is that it eliminates conventional jitter, because it first reads in batches of the data just like a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then plays it back like a WAV file directly from the RAM.

But this is where it falls-down with the copy-protected CD—sides of DualDiscs. My theory is that other DVD players which spin at single speed are far more likely to play the CD side just fine.

Note that in all likelyhood, Christine’s ‘drives’ which she refers to spin at much faster speeds than the "single-speed" of a regular CD player. This could contribute to the problems with the copy-protected DualDisc CD layers she is experiencing.

I’m sure her Panny DVD player would have had no problem at all playing the CD side of the DualDisc. (I also have a cheap Panny DVD player at home which has no probs with either side of a DualDisc.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Some observations . . . - Martin419 10:41:30 08/03/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.