Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

surround can be done just as well in 4.0, without the Center channel

Peter McGrath and Jerry Bruck have been making 4-channel recordings for more than 10 years, and each time I read about them being demo'd in this situation or that situation (like at shows, or for reviewers, or at conferences, etc.) the usual response is that they are the "Best and most life-like recordings [they] have ever heard, period." This is not an exaggeration, I have seen these kinds of descriptors used quite often for Bruck/McGrath's 4-channel recordings. (John Marks uses the same system, much of the time).

Anyway, I'm sure that equally great results can be obtained with 5.0 or the 'standard' 5.1 config. For performances with vocal (most pop material), I can see how the center might be advantageous. Most of Peter's recordings have been of symphony orchestra in a large hall, and with solo piano (in what space I'm not sure). Perhaps this is why the lack of a center channel doesn't seem to matter.

Of course the only way to tell which one is 'best' is to carefully try recording and mixing for one and then recording and mixing for the other, using experienced engineers, and then evaluate the results.

Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • surround can be done just as well in 4.0, without the Center channel - High-end Dreamer 18:56:46 01/31/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.