Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Not that it matters, but, AFAIK Aerial has sourced many of its cabinets from contractors...

As far as I know, for many years Aerial has outsourced its cabinets from (sorry, can't do the proper foreign letter character) Hornslet in Denmark.

Where the 5T cabinet comes from I don't know, but, I doubt that it is made in-house, for a lot of reasons. But two major reasons are the capital expense of CNC machines and custom heated molds, and, the environmental compliance costs of painting/spray booth operations.

I have been a loudspeaker DIY enthusiast for decades, and I can assure everyone that there is no way there is $3000 profit, even gross profit, in the 5T. There are costs to be paid, all the way down the foodchain. E.g., has the OP costed out how much it costs to exhibit at an audio show?

Audio dealers are increasingly like fur salons and piano galleries--the natural audience gets smaller and smaller, so, the sales costs are spread over fewer and fewer units. So the retailer needs at least 50 points gross margin, so he or she can pay the rent and the staff.

Just a fact of modern life.

Ciao,

jm

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Not that it matters, but, AFAIK Aerial has sourced many of its cabinets from contractors... - John Marks 05:53:52 02/13/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.