Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Hmmmmmm.....I read JA's review

Oh no another audiophile who believes measurements & specs tell the absolute truth about an audio component's sound. IMHO reviews done by subjectivist audiophiles such as Harry Pearson, Art Dudley and/or Anthony Cordesman are some of the most accurate descriptions of what an audio component will sound like when you go and listen to it. They are certainly more accurate than any review I've ever read from any of the measurements & specs reviewers such as Julian Hirsch, Tom Nosaine and/or Peter Aczel.

A.Wayne, I have a 40W/ch, 845-based, integrated, SET amp that I'll guarantee you two things about it:

1) It won't measure as well as 99.9% of solid-state gear.
2) It will sound better ---{by "better" I mean it sounds more like a live, unamplified sax, piano, drum, guitar, singer etc. would sound}--- than 99.9% of solid-state gear.

Don't forget the quote used in this same issue of Stereophile that JA's review came from: "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." With audio it would be better stated as "Not everything that matters can be measured, and not everything that can be measured matters." Truer words in audio have never been spoken.

Now go back and read Art Dudley's review of the exact same speakers JA just reviewed in Stereophile. After you've done that, try and listen to the speakers they both reviewed. If you ever do get a chance to hear those speakers, PLEASE come back and create a post telling us which review you believe more accurately described the sound of those speakers you heard, ok? Good luck and good listening to you...

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Hmmmmmm.....I read JA's review - thetubeguy1954 02:37:26 12/16/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.