Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: "This isn't ice cream where everyone gets their favorite flavor."

It is for me. Why would I purposely choose something I like less? To adhere to someone else's philosophy?

For example, Holt embraced Shure cartridges. I've owned several, and found them somewhat bland and musically uninvolving, at least compared to the sound of some of the moving coils I own.

Are my moving coils more colored and less accurate? Holt might have argued, "Yes". But listening to music and thinking, "I know I would get more pleasure out of these LPs with a moving coil cartridge, but this is more accurate!" is something I gave up years ago, and I'm very happy for it.

Sometime back in the early 1990s, back when single ended triode tube amps were just gaining awareness by the masses, Stereophile featured one on their cover, along with a massive Krell amp. Their caption read something like, "If one of these amplifiers is right, the other one must be wrong".

Using your philosophy, I would agree with that. Using mine, I'd say, "One of these amplifiers brings me far more musical pleasure than the other. I'll take that one."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "This isn't ice cream where everyone gets their favorite flavor." - 1973shovel 05:57:42 11/28/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.