Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: MQA files sound very good on a good

Jim. I appreciate you taking the time, I really do.

I will make my reply brief so as not drag this out forever, it is clear we have different views on the motives behind MQA.

First, I think much your opinion is based on faith, but that is MY opinion.

Again, to be brief..let us examine your "4 Pillars"...

First, you say MQA sounded the best of any previous digital format...that is your opinion...hardly a pillar...and your opinion on DSD is counter to most of the professionals I have talked with. Hearing numerous analog tapes archived to DSD, especially DSD128, tells me it is amazingly good format, and very analog like in its continousnes.

Second..the technology...so you and a few people you know think it makes sense and is elegant..again...opinions....Any thing applied AFTER the fact is DSP. Plain and simple.

Third, provenance. This has been an issue since the very early days of the music business. The Beatles American LPS on Capital were done from copies of the master tapes, with more reverb applied. Reissues of classic LPs were done from multi generation tape copies. CDs were initially mastered from LP masters, with rolled off bass and other quirks related to LP mastering. Then you talk about retailers upsampling music. Never happened EVER with HDT, Pono, 7Digital, Qobuz, etc. This is a NON issue. Any "fake" hi rez has originated with the labels. And those instances were so small in number.

Lastly...the toothepaste is out of the tube. An entire generation has grown up not paying for music. MQA will not change our society. That is totally magical thinking, but then again, Bob Stuart is a magical thinker.
The record companies, while slow to change with times know how to still make money. File sharing is never ever going to go away. And it is lossless now. Including SACD rips. But again to repeat, there are numerous other revenue streams.

Edits: 10/29/16 10/29/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: MQA files sound very good on a good - Isaak J. Garvey 15:19:23 10/29/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.