Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: The real scoop on MQA, Warner, and the other major labels

Jim, while I think you did the right thing by going to the source...Stuart..there is so much pie in the sky it is remarkable.

Let us examine a few things here.

First, a blatantly incorrect statement:

"Because typically what's happening is these retailers are sent a file, they could be sent an [88.2kHz version], and then they make all the DSD out of it because they can charge more for it." With MQA you can have confidence that the file was produced from the master the label or artist prefers. If the file is manipulated post-release, the MQA light won't shine."

I don't know of a SINGLE instance were a retailer..Pono, HDT, Qobuz etc took a file and upsampled it or converted to another format like DSD. This is a preposterous statement.

I won't even go into the fantasy that "many" streaming services are interested. The biggest, and by far most widely know LOSSLESS streaming service is Tidal and it is hemorrhaging money.

Lastly, these 24/192 transfers that are supposedly being MQA'd are FLAT transfers of tapes. This is a hugely important distinction. The are in no way "definitive". The most popular titles are then mastered and produced in lavish collectable box sets with unreleased material and content on BlueRay or DVD. It is a huge revenue stream for us. MQA is a non factor here.

Edits: 10/29/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.