Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Surprisingly, for all the odd answers from Stereophile writers and fan boys, ...

there is a decent piece at Stereophile just now on the very topic of your inquiry. In it Leebens even takes a stab at the basic numbers (below), something this raucous crowd here haven't but the foggiest (yet desperately dare not admit!) ...

I've been involved in a lot of the efforts with the Consumer Electronics Association, which is now the Consumer Technology Association. Back in the day when there was a High Performance Audio Advisory Board there were a lot of industry people like Ray Kimber, Kathy Gornik, then from Thiel, Richard Schram from Parasound, Wes Phillips from Stereophile, me, and a lot of people whom I sadly can't recall at the moment. That was an effort that was killed by CEA (I think) largely because they didn't think it was large enough to matter. Going by CEA/CTA stats, consumer electronics in the United States is about a $275 billion/year business, and even the most optimistic estimates put high-end audio as $1 billion or less in the US.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Surprisingly, for all the odd answers from Stereophile writers and fan boys, ... - bjh 13:31:25 07/09/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.