Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: BAck in the day a bad review from TAS or Stereophile could kill a company.. (luckily no longer true)nt

Why do you believe it's lucky that's no longer true?

a) It certainly isn't lucky for folks who ended up purchasing a piece of audio gear that was released too soon and had sonic problems that still needed to be resolved.

b) Nor is it lucky for folks who purchased a piece of audio gear that still had reliability problems that needed to be resolved!

Perhaps you've forgotten how before TAS & Stereophile were around to tell their readers about those types of issues surfacing during some of their audio equipment reviews ---{often it was by a new start up audio manufacturer}--- steps a & b while not common, occurred more often than it ever should have! It was the realization by new audio manufacturers that a bad review of their audio gear because it fell into either one of those two categories in particular would almost certainly destroy their company financially. It was almost certainly due to that type of honest reviewing by TAS & Stereophile, despite where the financial cards might fall, that brought that practice by audio manufacturers to an end!

Personally I believe ANY audio manufacturer that would knowingly release a piece of audio gear that fell into either of those two categories, choosing to use their clients as guinea pigs to review the sonic merits of their audio gear or even worse to test out just how reliable their audio gear actually was, all the while attempting to make as much money as fast as they possibly could before "the word" about them got out to the public at large, deserved to die financially!

Now perhaps I'm mistaken as I cannot recall a name, but I seem to think I remember that exact thing happening with some amplifier or with some speaker in the 70s or 80s. Does anyone remember anything like that occurring or am I fooling myself with fake memories that I honestly believe occurred?

I'm listening to: Make Someone Happy by Sophie Milman

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: BAck in the day a bad review from TAS or Stereophile could kill a company.. (luckily no longer true)nt - thetubeguy1954 22:17:17 06/05/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.