Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

front row center in an opera house

Front row center in an opera house gives an extremely diffuse sound, as the orchestra is in a pit, with a wall between you and them, so no sound reaches you directly. The singers will sound good there, but the orchestra can sound a little remote. The same was somewhat true for Broadway pits, though the small size of those houses made up for it. (They ruined that by amplifying everything, and later ditched most of the pits for mic'd musicians in a room offstage piped into the house.)

The Met pit is better than most, probably because it, and its opening, are so large. But if you want to hear that band sounding its best, you have to be on the side boxes. Also, volume levels in the orchestra seats are not great, especially if you're out in the middle of the hall. For that matter, if you are out in the middle, even the big honkin' voices can sound like they're across the river in Jersey City. The sound in the side boxes can knock you over. (I'm shallow - I like it loud.)

Still, that seat gave the best sound I've heard there. I'll have to try the level above it, just under the ceiling, where they have the (zero visibility) lit score desks. I haven't sat at one of those in a few decades. Last time I sat at one the ticket price was something like $5. That price has now inflated to $12.

WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • front row center in an opera house - Bill Way 23:42:45 05/01/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.