Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Stereophile's "unethical" renewal notice

On Apr 22, I received another - probably the third - renewal notice from Stereophile's subscription service - which, I understand, is independent of the magazine:
"..., your subscription to Stereophile has expired. Avoid missing any issues and future price increases - it's not too late to Renew at your preferred subscriber rate. Click here now and ensure that you keep enjoying Stereophile at 59% off the cover price!"
I found this notice disgustingly unethical for the following reasons:
1. My subscription has not expired. I have yet to receive my May and June issues. Many unwary subscribers would have felt the pressure to renew instantly. I recalled the last notice I received said something like: "You are about to receive your last issue of Stereophile" when I still had three issues on the way.
2. When I clicked on the link to renew, the rate for 24 issues was $87.97 (international). However when I checked the renewal rate via the Stereophile web site, the rate was lower at $77.97. Not only that, the subscription rate was lower still for new subscribers at $71.97. What a way to reward loyal customers!
My advice to all subscribers: take out a new subscription each time instead of renew. Perhaps the editorial board of Stereophile can take this matter up with their subscription service to avert this inconvenience.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Stereophile's "unethical" renewal notice - ianm0 19:34:49 04/27/16 (39)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.