Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

" Go to a live concert and get a good seat."

>>Go to a live concert and get a good seat.>>

I've done that. quite a bit actually

>>Close your eyes. Notice that there is indeed a soundstage.>>

Done that too. Of course I never said there was no sound stage so not sure what your point is.

>>Turn your head to sort out where the sounds are coming from if you've any doubt.>>

Turn my head? really? Why should I need to turn my head? What happens when I turn my head when I am listening to two channel stereo? Think about that. You don't need to turn your head to get some very precise imaging with two channel stereo. If the real thing is as precise why would I need to turn my head????

>>I do this often at shows to see how a real life performance stands up to what we are doing with recordings and also playback as I am an equipment manufacturer too and am very interested in image location.>>

Of course, we all do it at live concerts. We turn our heads, we use our eyes. We use our brains. That is why our ability to locate sound sources is as precise as it is. Because we do things we cant do while listening to two channel stereo. And that is why two channel stereo is actually more precise in it's aural imaging than real life without all those other tools we use to locate sound sources. It has to compensate to be the equal of the overall live experience. But that overall live experience has a lot more than what we get from two channel stereo.

>>A good seat will give you lots of image location information- just ask a blind person!>>

I really don't need more anecdotal evidence on that subject. The science on the subject is more than good enough. And here is what it says on the subject...

"Accurate auditory localization relies on non-acoustic factors too. Because the coordinates of auditory space are centred on the head and ears, information must be provided by the vestibular and proprioceptive senses about the orientation and motion of these structures (Goossens & Van Opstal 1999; Vliegen et al. 2004). Moreover, a congruent representation of the external world has to be provided by the different senses, so that the objects registered by more than one modality can be reliably localized and identified. In the case of vision and hearing, this means that activation of a specific region of the retina corresponds to a particular combination of monaural and binaural localization cues values."

"Although sound sources can obviously be localized on the basis of auditory cues alone, localization accuracy improves if the target is also visible to the subject (Shelton & Searle 1980; Stein et al. 1989). This is an example of a more general phenomenon by which the central nervous system can combine inputs across the senses to enhance the detection, localization and discrimination of stimuli and speed up reactions to them."

"visual localization is normally more accurate than sound localization"

>>While I regard the information that you quoted as real, your extrapolation is not.>>

What extrapolation? Those are direct quotes.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.