Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Not sure why he feels that way

As Ralph succinctly put it below, It is the whole reason stereo was invented in the first place.

Now Art may, for whatever reason, have difficulty in perceiving soundstage and what thinks is important to him is what is important to him but to declare it is unimportant and not adding any musically relevant content is not correct.

Placing an instrument in space and it's relationship with other instruments in space does add a sense of realism, as in the senstation of actually being in the presence of real musicians. I would argue that this enhances the experience of listening if it is done convincingly.

The problem is that MOST hifi either doesn't do a convincing sense of imaging and soundstaging or many of those that do a good job with that seem to sacrifice tone and body of instruments. It is this later group of systems/gear that could be where Art's emphasis on tone and body and not "caring" about soundstage comes from.

Truly superior audio does both the soundstage and imaging as well as successfully recreating the soundstage information that is encoded in better recordings.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.