Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Great Falcon LS3/5a Review by Paul Seydor

Isaac, I answer this question with great trepidation, as I do not wish to give offense and I have no interest in arguing about this kind of thing, but here goes. First, I do not and never have believed there is a necessary correlation between the price of something and its worth, especially in audio, viz., I have no heard speakers costing more than my Quad 2805 or Harberth Monitor 40.2 that I would take over them regardless of cost. And this includes all the usual suspects. Second, as regards digital reproduction, if I had more disposable income than I do I might be tempted by one of the more expensive SACD players, but as for Redbook CD, I've yet to be convinced--and I have listened--that you can do all that much better than Benchmark's DACs, if you can do better at all. I'd wager that better than a third to half of all recordings you buy have been made with something by Benchmark somewhere in the chain. There are some more expensive players than the Marantz that I like (including a more expensive Marantz and at least one of the upper-level Luxman), but I like the Marantz just fine. I won't make a claim that it's the best, but it is very good, is always extremely listening and musical, and rarely grates or given any evidence of digititis, And this it the player as a standalone--when paired with the Benchmark as a backend, I find almost nothing to complain about and the level of detail, transparency, and resolution is quite remarkable.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.