Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Great Falcon LS3/5a Review by Paul Seydor

Please feel free to call me Pau, Isaak. The reason I don't include my reference system is that it varies to some extent, and I do enough reviewing that there are not hours in the day left to listen to what I "own." Regular readers of mine know that my principal speakers are Quad 2805 ESLs, Harbeth Monitor 30.1, and the latest version of the smallest Harbeths, the HLP3R. My CD player is a Marantz SA-CD 8004 that is used for SACDs and that feeds a Benchmark DAC-1 for Redbook. Electronics? Well, for the last year or so I've used a Quad 909 and Zesto Audio Bia. LP? Basis Vector IV arm, 2200 turntable, and Ortofon Windfeld or Ortofon Bronze pickup, and sometimes an AR XA in mint condition with a Shure V15 MR. I used Zesto Audio's line stage and phono stage and also the latest version of Musical Surroundings's Phenomena (especially useful for exact MC loading). I hope this helps. I should point out that I am of the school that believes source components and speakers, especially the latter, make by far the lions share of observable differences in systems. Electronics behavior is far more predictable. Most present day solid state amplifiers that are competently design are far more similar in their sound than different. I'm not suggesting the differences aren't important, but surely no one can argue they are anything like the same magnitude as speakers'. I hope this has been of some help. The truth is, when I'm not actively evaluating equipment, I don't fool around with the equipment much. At the end of the day, the electronics I'm listening to for pleasure are generally the electronics I'm reviewing. The speakers are typically the Quads--by the way, I also own and regularly enjoy fully restored ESL57s, driven by a beautiful sounding Quad 303 amp--and occasionally the Harbeths.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.