Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Thanks, JA for the March SF opinion piece

John Atkinson wrote:

"My point was, with millennials not exposed to this music in the way earlier generations were, who will be listening, not just to classical music, but even to artists like John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Art Tatum, when we are all gone?"

Is there any doubt that, without school music programs, today's youth have virtually no chance of connecting with art music? When I was in school (specifically New York State public school) in the '80s, there was a ton of music education available: two levels of chorus, two levels of band/wind ensemble, jazz ensemble, marching band, orchestra, an annual school musical, private lessons ... and probably a few groups that I'm forgetting. There were also music appreciation classes (for those who didn't connect seriously) and music theory classes (for those who did). I took advantage of just about all of these BTW.

I wonder what the state of affairs is 25 years later. If things are not as robust on the music education front for today's kids as they were for me, then I think that this could and should change. State school chancellors are the obvious targets; but who has access?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thanks, JA for the March SF opinion piece - Jim Hodgson 12:02:39 02/21/16 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.