Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Adjectives vs. Measurements

Arnie Nudell and Paul McGowan live in Colorado a couple of thousand miles from me. I don't intend to make the trip.

I've looked at the design of the Gen 1.2. It's the latest iteration of the Infinity IRS concept. Paul McGowan acquired a pair of IRS series V which Arnie helped him restore. He even rebuilt his sound room for them and has a series of videos on YouTube that allows you to follow its progress. If I liked the Gen 1.2 I'd built my own version. The midrange looks to me exactly like the B&G RD75 line array ribbon which Arnie helped design. For tweeters I'd probably go with something like the Beston RT003C ribbons in a line array. I would not use the BHK/Nudell woofer design. BHK designed the servo system which I think is unnecessary. He published data for it. IMO believe it or not, I think the enclosure is too small, as large as it is. It achieves an open loop F3 of around 60 hz. I think I could do as well or better with some old restored AR 12" drivers. 6 per channel is overkill for even the largest room in my house, 12 per channel is ridiculous. I think I could build a pair for around $15K - $20K, maybe less. I'd use active crossovers and equalization, and multiple amps. Paul McGowan says his IRS sound best using two BHK amps, one per channel in a mono mode. The woofers also have their own dedicated servo amps in all of the IRS and Gen 1.1 and 1.2 speakers.

"But IMO you do need to experience a few SOTA setup before solving the problem "

What makes you think I haven't solved it already? What do I listen to? My own designs and no they will not be manufactured for sale. I build them exclusively for my own use.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.