Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Adjectives vs. Measurements

The perceived power of a musical instrument is definitely an issue, it is a characteristic of the instrument's tone. Tone is not just spectral distribution, there's more too it. Tone is one of the four basic elements of music. Therefore if the tone is wrong, it's not high fidelity. A grand piano in a home fills up one end of a large room with sound while an expensive hi fi system no matter what its spectral balance can't. Not even close. And yes I do own a Steinway grand piano myself.

The problem of recording and reproducing musical performances with high fidelity begins with a complete understanding of the physics of sound and acoustics and ends with an understanding of the capabilities and limitations of human hearing. It has nothing to do with tubes versus transistors, analog versus digital, this capacitor versus that one. It is strictly about sound. I'd give out the answer but you can see from a certain physicist's comments earlier today that they are so snooty I figure they should get the answer themselves. If you really are a physicist, the right answer really shouldn't be that hard to find. I've known a lot of physicists in my life, even roomed with one in college for two years. Every one I knew or saw on TV including my professors were wackos.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.