Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Face it, the publishing was your first failure, your second is not say "yeah, we screwed up"

>> Wrong. People die every day and all of them are flawed. No musician
>> deserves the kind of unqualified hosannas that nearly all of them get
>> when they die, and the machine-gunned praise gets tiresome and rings false.

>> It's dishonest to pretend someone was an unqualified genius just because they die.

I didn't see anyone suggest that Frey was an "unqualified genius" or advocate only that should have been said about him. However, there is a difference between giving someone "unqualified hosannas" and the snarky article Stereophile posted one day after the report of his death.

A story immediately on someone's passing doesn't need to be a gossamer fairy tale, but it also should not be taking swipes at them. There is plenty of time later on to publish the autopsy report of their life.

However, given that so many of the social conventions that used to make things a bit more civil are now out of fashion, the article wasn't a surprise in many ways. However, without doing an exact count, in looking at the comments posted at the Stereophile web site, I'd estimate that about three-quarters of them thought it was in poor taste. Obviously JA and some think otherwise, but I suspect they have taken note of the reaction of many of their readers..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Face it, the publishing was your first failure, your second is not say "yeah, we screwed up" - mlsstl 11:26:41 01/27/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.