Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Face it, the publishing was your first failure, your second is not say "yeah, we screwed up"

Wrong. People die every day and all of them are flawed. No musician deserves the kind of unqualified hosannas that nearly all of them get when they die, and the machine-gunned praise gets tiresome and rings false.

I love David Bowie and he was a game-changer in many regards, but in the wake of his death you'd think he never recorded a bad song. He actually recorded a lot of poor albums, in my opinion, just like any other musician. No one has a perfect catalog.

And when McCartney dies, his endless slog of crap solo records will also be ignored. But why? He made them. They're part of his legacy, just as Frey's sub-par work was part of a legacy that also included some outstanding work.

It's dishonest to pretend someone was an unqualified genius just because they die. Baird had some nice things to say about Frey and the Eagles, and he had some critical things to say. That's it. End of story.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.