Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Good Form?

I won't wade into the waters regarding an editor's responsibility to green light opinion pieces in his or her magazine, but I agree that the piece was not particularly well timed. The fact is the Eagle's catalog has been in existence and unchanged for many years, many of which Baird has been writing for Stereophile. My question is why Baird never got around to writing the piece, or at least it being published, until Frey died? Were the opinions expressed relevant before Frey died? Yes. Did Frey's death trigger the piece? Likely. I don't go to a man's funeral demanding the widow pay me the $10.00 the decedent owed me. I'll let it rest for a while.

Secondly, I don't understand the argument that the Eagles' catalog is played too much on radio. I am not an Eagles fan, but I am a fan of the free market, and I do believe radio stations generally play what their listeners like, much as audio magazines publish reviews which their readers like. The listeners of those stations don't seem to think the Eagles are overplayed anymore than most Stereophile readers did not think there were too many Musical Fidelity or Music Hall reviews when Sam Tellig was writing for the magazine.

My guess is that Baird does not like the Eagles, and so believes they are played too much on the radio. My guess is that if Baird was running a classic radio station to put food on the table, and had to answer to the stockholders, he too would be give the listeners a heavy does of the Eagles.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Good Form? - jamesgarvin 06:21:57 01/25/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.