Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Glenn Frey's revenge

Consider the opening statement of Robert Baird's article:

Another Monday, another rock passing, another reappraisal. The death of Glenn Frey, 67, a member of a band widely known for being stronger in the studio than it was on the concert stage (at least until Joe Walsh and Don Felder arrived) brings up two questions. Given the Eagles run of smash hits from 1974 ("Best of My Love") through the end of that decade, all of which were played literally to death by the radio, can anybody still listen to Eagles records these days? And if so, is that audiophile fave, Hotel California really the band's creative peak?

With the passing of another rocker's life, I only have one question - What can you tell me, with context, about this man's life that I don't already know? The opening of the article and it's timing implies a retrospective on Glenn Frey. But, Mr. Baird utterly fails to contribute, with respect, anything of the sort and therein lies the agenda. It is unfortunate that the death of one man justifies the beating again of a horse long dead - the Eagles' music. One wonders how long this article was on the hard drive awaiting Frey's demise. For those claiming that the article is about the Eagles, I say bad taste is written between the lines. It's an excuse to condemn Frey at his passing.

It seems that many on this thread concur with Mr. Baird that it is the Eagles' fault that their songs were played to death on the radio. One would think that these evil Eagles were but mercenary businessmen with nothing but profit on their minds and a mysterious way to make people buy the stuff. You know, those damned music consumers really got hornswoggled again by those guys.

Myself, I can take the Eagles or leave them; mostly leave them. But they did create some good music that can be enjoyed by a given mind. It is Glenn Frey's revenge that much of the Eagles' music is stuck on the soundtrack of Mr. Baird's mind unable to be let go of.

Ripple

P.S. I have been reading Baird's music reviews for many years and have enjoyed his work, so this isn't personal. I just hope he reverts back to being productive.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Glenn Frey's revenge - Ripple 11:07:29 01/23/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.