Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Yep, they choose convenience over quality :^)

You'd achieve much better performance with a solid-state amp. But I suspect that isn't the point. I don't know where the "quality" thing comes from. I have solid-state gear that's decades old that's never seen the inside of a repair shop.

I grew up in a house with a livingroom stereo powered by tube amps. My father, a solid-state physicist, made them. I know the power and heat issues involved when tube amps have to push 380 watts per channel. My guess is your stereo isn't that powerful.

Until the amps were replaced with solid-state models, the time I could spend using the livingroom stereo was severely rationed, because of the extreme power consumption.

I'm guessing I know a lot more about tube technology than most "audiophiles", and I think the people who imagine tube technology has some kind of performance advantage over solid-state technology just believe whatever Shane at Audio Boutique tells them. See: monophonic cartridges, turntables.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Yep, they choose convenience over quality :^) - Poinzy 10:31:52 01/11/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.