Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

No problemo!

When we reasonably disagree, let us at least accurately state the position to which we do.

As you might imagine, I disagree with your perspective on the realism of large panel speakers vs. small point sources. In that same HT Geek video, you opined that a panel speaker reproducing a solo flute would necessarily "get it all wrong".

My feeling is that is determined by the miking technique. While I understand your reasoning behind using a close technique for the live vs. recorded experiences in both the HT Geek video and the link in your last post, I aver that such is unnatural when the intended playback environment is one's home environment. Isn't that the target for recorded music?

When the miking does include the hall's sound and is not IN YOUR FACE, then I find that all instruments consume their relative space in the soundfield. And yes, I like that soundfield to span both the height and (exceed the) width of my room. You also commented on voices and a comment by Bob Stuart? concerning speakers the width of the human head. Similarly, with my large stats, I find that with well miked recordings, voices "float" in front of me in a natural perspective. There are definitely very closely miked examples where you feel like you're looking down their throat, but I don't optimize my system for those examples.

For me, getting a realistic image size is essential to fooling my senses that I am actually in a live space. Another more subtle aspect concerns line sources vs. point sources. I find that the sound of live music does fall off more gradually than a point source's log scale. One of the most compelling aspects of the large Sound Lab speakers is that the sound field changes very little as a walk around my room . In front of them. In back of them. Sitting down. Standing up. Near. Far. There's no need to set my listening position at "tweeter height". The result is very natural to these ears.

Perhaps that is my way of communicating what you observed in the linked article:

"Even with the same tone colors and sound-pressure level, the instrument and the loudspeakers were exciting the room very differently.

...succeeded in every sonic parameter but one: the
intensity of the original sound. Intensity, defined as the sound power per unit area of the radiating surface."

A natural ease?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.