Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Accomodation Pricing

Obviously the worst misdeed a reviewer can commit is to give a component a review it doesn't deserve. No one has ever been able to explain how the ability to buy a lousy component at a discount is supposed to induce a writer to give the thing a rave review, or how a discount can cause good components to be falsely disparaged. If the component is a piece of crap deserving of a negative review why would the writer want to buy it even at a discount? Here's a real - world example: long ago, I wrote a negative review for Listener of the Roksan Xerxes X. I didn't care that I could have bought it at wholesale, I didn't like the sound of it. I wouldn't have wanted it in my system even if Roksan gave it to me gratis. How was my bad opinion of the turntable affected by accommodation pricing? It certainly didn't earn Roksan a positive review. Conversely, how does accommodation pricing affect the review of a component of merit? It's going to get a good review anyway, regardless of the price to the reviewer. Again, where is the conflict that causes a false review? Are you arguing that accommodation pricing causes good components to be given bad reviews? That doesn't make any sense either.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.