Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I seriously doubt anybody here is unaware of this. nt

That seems entirely reasonable since the manufacturer does not want to undercut his distributors. That could get them real mad if they found out. The buyback option is of course effectively a loan, the money merely a deposit to be returned in exchange for the equipment. The loan could therefore be indefinite. The purchaser gets the free use of the equipment for as long as he wants although inflation does take its toll on the value of money over an extended time. It is in the interest of the manufacturer to remain on the best possible terms with as many reviewers who are widely read as possible since a review can strongly influence sales.

Of all reviewers and critics in the world, the wine reviewer Robert Parker was thought by many to be the greatest critic of anything. His reviews literally drove the market and could kill off the sales of some highly respected brand names while boosting the price of lesser known brands to the stratosphere. He made a lot of people very angry at him, he ruined their game. He also exposed what he called the incestuous relationship between French wine negociants and British wine merchants. The alternative critics who arose to prominence were from Wine Spectator Magazine including James Suckling and James Laube. Interestingly they didn't always agree on the merits of particular products with Parker giving them wildly different numerical ratings. But even where they agreed on the numbers, their descriptions were often so different you wouldn't know by that alone they were describing the same product. Parker and Wine Spectator relied on their unquestioned integrity to give their genuine opinions, Wine Spectator the result of single blind tests, Parker not blind tests at all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I seriously doubt anybody here is unaware of this. nt - MarkJohns 10:59:05 11/23/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.