Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: FWIW JA and I often do not agree.

In 1983 I attended a Seminar and demonstration at the WQXR auditorium during the AES convention in NYC presented by New York Audio Labs, Harvey Rosenberg's company. Their engineers had taken a lot of death bed testimony from Futterman and his widow gave them all of his technical papers. They used the same principles but provided a modern solid state power supply. They also built a rig for adjusting the bias. It used to take Futterman an entire day to get this right. They could do it in five minutes.

Among the many shortcomings of vacuum tubes is that thermionic emission of the cathode varies with the square of the temperature. That means a small change in temperature results in a much larger change in the rate electrons boiled off. Negative feedback properly used mitigates this problem. Improperly used it creates more distortion than it is intended to solve. In fact used very wrong and you've built an oscillator. The rigorous study of negative feedback and servo systems which operate on exactly the same principle entails understanding mind blowing mathematical equations. This is why tyros invariably get it wrong and should stay away from it. Like any powerful tool it is dangerous. You can build a house with a hammer or smash your thumb.

If I had to buy a tube amplifier on sound alone, it would be an OTL type. But I still prefer solid state for practical reasons.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.