Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: And...

The alternating magnetic field that couples the primary of an iron core transformer is described by a BH curve that graphs the magnetic inducing field resulting from current in the primary winding to the magnetic field actually induced in the core. The induced field when it's going from positive to negative does not retrace the same curve going from negative to positive. That means that for example if the input waveform is symmetrical such as a sine wave, the output will never be. The impedance of the transformer is also inductive and has a relatively high source resistance meaning it will interact with the speaker crossover network, has a relatively poor electrical damping factor, and it invalidates measurements where the load in the bench test was a pure resistor.

What I hear from them is a kind of muffled, muted sound with a relatively louder but not very deep bass. Speakers designed with the characteristics of this kind of amplifier in mind will typically sound shrill and thin connected to a solid state amplifier whose source impedance is very low, does not have hysteresis distortion, and has a flat frequency response with many loads and at many loudness levels if well designed. Tube amplifiers also begin to self destruct from the moment you turn them on due to the heat they generate. The tube itself depends on the mechanical relationship of the electrodes which can change with time. The crystal structure of transistors by contrast is locked in. If they change they will fail catastrophically.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.