Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Inconsistencies and cherry picking?...

"by this reasoning isn't it also erroneous to dismiss the amp as you've done assuming you haven't heard it either?"

Except that it is a fundamentally wrong design from a psychoacoustic POV. Not to mention I have heard their other big product, the DAC, and it was frankly crap sounding. Given their design priorities and the methods they use to achieve them I can pretty safely conclude this amp breaks no new ground sonically.

"Seems I also have to conclude that you consider the opinions of reviewers irrelevant in general."

Where are you taking this from? Did I not state that there ARE reviewers whose opinion I value? Yes I did.

"This is all kinda inconsistent dontcha think? It also strikes me as cherry picking for best effect. "

How so? I said that I don't value his opinion and I explain that is largely two things A) He raves about gear that I have heard and find unmusical and not worth buying and B) His reference gear is largely made up of similar items, IMO. Nothing inconsistent with that and my dismissal of his Benchmark review.

"then you cite a portion of his review out of context in support of your personal point of view regarding the amp you haven't heard."

Where did I quote him at all? Perhaps you have me confused with someone else?

"I'll admit that I really like AD's style and outlook -followed him since the "Listener" days. However.......you must surely know that one of his reference speakers is a pair of Altec Valencias - possibly modified in undocumented ways. Have you ever heard these things? I have: I too am the proud owner of a pair of them. While dynamic and sometimes engaging, esp w/tubes, they're also colored with a "prominent" (shouty) midrange and rapid roll off above ~10-12KHz. IOW, "fun but fake". I don't begrudge AD for liking them but I also don't consider them reference quality, esp as a tool of the professional reviewer."

I said I value his opinion, not that I am a fan boy or want to duplicate his system. I have heard old JBLs and Altecs and some are amazing and some are as you describe. I haven't heard the Valencias. What you describe though doesn't surprise me. My Odeons sound completely modern in tonal balance and lack of coloration but have the fun and dynamics of one of these older horn systems.

You sure seem to reading a lot of your own interpretations into what I am posting rather than sticking with the facts about what I am writing...strange.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Inconsistencies and cherry picking?... - morricab 14:18:12 11/15/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.