Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Stereophile Reviews Moot Points

If you find this situation baffling, confusing, misleading, and it leaves you wondering how to make sense of it all, I'm with you.

Read the review of the YG Sonja 1.3. Of 3 very expensive amplifiers John Atkinson had available to him, only one was best suited to it, it cost $44,000 which I suppose is affordable if you can buy a speaker that costs over $100,000 a pair, and it was less than entirely satisfactory. I know I'd be disappointed if I'd spent that much money and not been entirely happy with the results. Yet John Atkinson said this was a new benchmark in speaker performance as I recall it. It makes no sense to me. I'm just hoping when he reviews the Yamaha NS 5000 he compares its performance with the Revel Saloon Ultima II since they cost about the same and I recall he liked that one a lot. Maybe one of these days I'll hunt down a pair but I'll wait for the NS 5000 before I make any decision if I decide to buy anything at all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Stereophile Reviews Moot Points - MarkJohns 12:50:36 11/15/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.