Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

synergy with an amp

yes, that's true, but some amps are amenable to drive nearly ANY loudspeaker. that would usually be a powerful SS amp. a powerful tubed amp is usually much more expensive. i am taking the tube vs SS sound out of the equation here.

lower powered tube amps are more subject to variations in sound quality due to impedance induced colorations. i have experienced the receiver shut down effect when i tried to drive Janszen 412HPs with a sherwood s8900a receiver (a very good one). i did this in a showroom and knew that day that my days with the 8900a were numbered. another foolish demo was a dealer attempting to drive DQ10s with the Stax amplifier.

i couldn't afford said Janszens and stuck with my stacked Dynaco A25s but migrated to separates and haven't looked back.

a speaker maker should be willing to suggest amps (more than one) in the same league with their review unit so as to somewhat guide the reviewer and eventually the consumer to a successful mating.

so many times i have heard someone say that a given component sounds like excrement only to admonish them because i had heard the component PROPERLY demonstrated. that list includes Wilson Audio and Magico speakers. even the dealers that SHOULD know how to properly set up a demo before allowing prospective buyers to hear them.

i also realize that this can conflict with the dealers's current product lineup and associated tsuris to be dealt with regarding to the suppliers involved with him.

unless you live in a LARGE metropolitan area like LA or NY, hearing a proper demo on a given product is a crap shoot. the flourishing of the audio shows is a good substitute for the availability of dealer density
...regards...tr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.