Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

You missed the point...

...I was commenting on statements like this one: "The fact of the matter is that amps that 'measure well' don't do the best when dealing with the human ear/brain perceptual system. What they do well is look good on paper. The problem here of course is we don't experience music through paper, we experience it through our ears and brain.". Actually, the fact of the matter is that there indeed exist amps that measure very well AND are generally considered good sounding. i.e. Good measurements do not preclude good sound.

While it's probably reasonably true today that the correlation between good meas performance and good sound is mildly positive, IME, the correlation betw poor meas performance and poor sound is considerably more positive. Preference also has a role to play in this. I'm fairly certain a few of my audio acquaintances (and a noted reviewer for SP) find relatively higher levels of 2nd hd and amplitude compression very pleasing....not that there's anything wrong with that...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.