Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

You can't cheat the exam if you don't know the question

Ralph,

I don't really disagree, except I'm still really pleased with the plane analogy:). I think we all should step back occasionally and consider what humans can and do create using our accumulated knowledge and contrast that to the some of the undefined minutiae of high-end audio.

There are many, many different amplifier topologies and philosophies and pretty much all reviews I read are positive so is there one true approach to amplification - probably not? Though each proponent probably thinks so. Add into that cost, appearance and peer approval and, I'm sure, that is as significant as a bit of 7HD.

So, is there a secret to perfect audio and how do you test for it? Until we have that answer the only examination question is measure what you can. If the results look good on paper you might think 'at least this designer has tried to be faithful to the input', if the results look poor you really don't know if the designer has studiously eschewed measurements for subjectivity or just doesn't have a handle on what they are doing.

The Volkswagon analogy doesn't quite work. If an amplifier 'looks good on paper' but is found subjectively lacking, where is the cheat? What VW did was design for good subjective performance and then cheat with a test setting to make the measurements look good too.

Regards
13DoW

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.