Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

The pursuit

of finding meaningful measurements that truly correlate to the complex process of hearing music is a noble one. Maybe someday we'll get there. The only way to achieve that goal is to push forward and continue to provide the most thorough examination of which measurements illuminate our understanding with knowledge as opposed to those which simply generate data. And to develop new ones that fill in current gaps.

Richard Heyser, JPL scientist and engineer extraordinaire made the following observation in an article in Audio Magazine:

"I claim that it should be possible to measure audio systems and have those measurements correlate with what we hear out of those systems. We are not doing that now. Our measurements are more precise than ever, but our understanding of what those measurements mean to the way a system "sounds" is still hazy.

I further assert that we are locked into that dilemma because we do not truly understand the meaning of those technical concepts which we now use. I don't think I can be more blunt about the matter."

Well said, sir. JA, stay the course.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.