Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I think that EVERY LAST AUDIO WRITER ON THE PLANET should read this memoir...

The problem with writing or teaching is that once you put it out there you are never sure if you readers or students "get" what you are trying to say. I chose a 2nd career path to teach struggling math students of which there are plenty. That is because in this age of technology kids don't care what it is, but what it does. They don't care about technology, or the math other than it is a graduation requirement.

I must talk less, ask more, get them to tell me what they think should happen to the numbers in the problem presented. What kills most of them who are sitting in 6th-8th grade with 1st-3rd grade skills is the most basic of understanding of basic skill, which is not much different in explaining why one manufacturer chose one set of components and manufacturing choices that would be better for me and hoping your readers UNDERSTAND what you are saying. Will they take the time to take in all you are saying, or just jump to the end to see what you recommend? Are they truly committed to "learning something" or do the Jack Friday thing and as in "just the facts, Maam".

We know that it often comes down to different and not necessarily better, which is what great writing exposes. Audio is always the sum of the parts and how close they came to arriving at their performance objective and we rely on your experience to help us wade through all the options as we can never get to see or try for ourselves and is the price worth the engineering and performance?

Jack was smart enough to not only be involved in a sport he was writing about, but knew he wasn't the only authority and advice he passed along might be wrong. He also knew that some companies took engineering to another level and that small things matter like the quality of the welds, the quality of the tubing used, and over all angle measures that can alter the frame flex that can change spring and leap ability. What he was most surprised about that his words had the power to have someone agonize over a $20 decision that took time to implement that was a big deal to the reader. He realized that the availability of enough income was a key component and that many will take the time to save for better if they believe the rewards will ultimately be there. There is power in his words and that he has a responsibility to be true and right in explaining his recommendations. It is called character, a commodity often missing in writing, commentating, and recommending things.

Whatever you chose to write about in the future we can always count on something new and that you will present not only what it is, but what it does in the best possible way, and not just for monetary gain. You will gain readers, just as Jack did by being true and respecting your readers ability to enjoy and also save for a purchase they will hopefully not regret. It is what you have done ever since I discovered you writings in Stereophile. Many of us are looking forward to your new offerings.
Jim Tavegia

Edits: 11/03/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I think that EVERY LAST AUDIO WRITER ON THE PLANET should read this memoir... - jamestavegia@gmail.com 02:13:55 11/03/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.