Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I think that EVERY LAST AUDIO WRITER ON THE PLANET should read this memoir...

Either for amusement, or, for instruction.

Jack Baruth is one of the classiest writers I know.

Road & Track is lucky to have him, although this trenchant memoir is on the personal blog he shares with his brother.

Before sending them in, many many times I re-read the submissions I formerly made to Stereophile (and before that TAS), trying to read as though I had never read it before and was more skimming than reading, because I just needed to make a decision to buy something quickly--because that was the monkey on my back at that moment.

I was trying to catch what had I innocently or ignorantly written that might lead the unwary astray... .

# # #

THE ONLY "enthusiast magazine" writer I have ever seen address that issue publicly is Jack Baruth, who, by the way, hunts flea markets for early-press Yacht Rock albums, and who cherishes his Music Hall 5.1 deluxe turntable with the nice wood finish. Magneplanar speakers, but that's a separate forum... .

So, IMHO, everyone should read it, and I think a few audio scribes could learn from it.

JM

PS: The shot of Jack with the young ladies who had gotten out of their transportation to find out who was filling up a new Ferrari is not relevant to the linked-to article, but, it shows Jack in his element.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - I think that EVERY LAST AUDIO WRITER ON THE PLANET should read this memoir... - John Marks 16:46:40 11/02/15 (31)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.