Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Regardless if its pseudo science or beauty

Is it the size of the speaker or size of the musical group that matters most when it comes to a convincing performance in your listening room? It's much easier to produce a realistic recording of a small chamber group performing a Bach violin concerto than a one-hundred piece symphony performing Mahler, for all the obvious reasons, regardless of how large your speakers are. - regmac

Agree, but a large SOTA speaker will still do everything better in the right room vs small , but i do understand why most feel, a small speaker( monitor) wont give up much to , or captures 85-90% of the music vs a larger version, this is because most large speakers are not really SOTA vs their mini equivalent, yes they have less distortion in the bass and because of this ability to reach into the low frequencies of all recordings, they pressurize the room in a different manner, but they all have the same dynamic limitations and compression from 1K up because they are sprouting the same single point source tweeter, the tweeter is the conductor, dynamic compression will be reached at the same point.

Listen to any large line-source or multiple point source type speakers, the difference is immediately apparent on choral or large symphony music, really big horns make it happen also..

Find it hilarious, to see Audiophiles paying 6 figures for a single point source speaker with such limitations and thinking Sota.

They are not ..

Regards

Edits: 10/29/15 10/29/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Regardless if its pseudo science or beauty - A.Wayne 13:14:06 10/29/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.