Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

It also depends upon perceived value...

...particularly at higher price levels .

Say the basic audio design including research, components, manufacturing, marketing and distribution results in something that can retail for $500 then purchasers will probably be happy if it comes in a decent folded steel box. If, however, the item needs to sell at $10,000 to make a profit then at that level a folded steel box will be unlikely to appeal to a purchaser. As such the result would have the visual characteristics of a typical inexpensive product yet cost a small fortune. It would thus offer a perception of poor value irrespective of its audio performance. Hence all of those hewn from solid aluminium cases that dominate equipment over a certain price point.

Incidentally as my system is in my living room and not in a dedicated space I must spend more time having to look at it rather than listening to it so its appearance does have some relative importance (albeit subservient to its functional merits).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.