Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Why doesn't the "insider" discount count as remuneration?

There are some reviewers who purchased mega-buck systems. In addition to tax write-offs they may be able to get, they saved substantial amounts of money on their purchases. A reviewer whose system sells for $100,000 retail may have in effect received a $40-50,000 benefit. Consider a guy like Fremer, who does have a mega-buck system no doubt all bought with a discount.

I'd think that at the least quite a few reviewers basically get equipment for free. Just as an example.......

Two years after writing a rave review of a $6500 (at the time) Wells Audio amp culminating in telling readers he purchased the amp, Doug Schroeder listed the amp on A'gon for $3500. That's probably what he paid for it with his discount. Presumably it sold - the listing is gone.

One way to look at it is that the use of a $6500 amp for two years at zero cost is remuneration. BTW - *I'm in no way implying anything untoward about Doug or other reviewers*. Just sayin' that maybe things like that should be counted as remuneration rather than trying to minimize it by referring to it as a mere "perk".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.