Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Stereophile folks: a Gedankenexperiment of sorts -- power specifications for a consumer audio product

Not really a Gedankenexperiment -- in the sense that in this case the thesis is readily testable :-)

There's been some amusing discussion of a current Panasonic product at (ahem) another on-line forum discussing the rather "nontraditional" power claims for the unit.

The interesting part is that Panasonic actually make some seemingly verifiable power claims for this beast, albeit at rather different operating points than we're all used to see being specified.

I think it would be REALLY INTERESTING for an objective party (e.g., John Atkinson at Stereophile) to obtain as sample of one of these monsters and see whether, in fact, it were capable (note the use of the subjunctive mood!) of meeting its rather interesting published specifications.

Here is a sample specification transcribed as accurately as possible.

Power Output (Total Power)
Front : 500W/ch (1kHz, 3ohms, 30% THD)
Mid-Low: 500W/ch (1kHz, 3ohms, 30% THD
Low: 1000W/ch (100Hz, 5ohms, 30% THD)

Yes, I am easily amused in my old age... ;-)

all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Stereophile folks: a Gedankenexperiment of sorts -- power specifications for a consumer audio product - mhardy6647 12:58:02 08/29/15 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.