Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

What to make of John Marks review of the WB Square One?

I just read this review once it was posted online at stereophile and I find it another example of measurements and reviewers not agreeing.

In this case though I find it strange that JM has such high praise for the speaker because it REALLY has no bass whatsoever...subwoofer mandatory, IMO, is pretty lumpy measuring overall with a not so nice peak at 1Khz and a suspicious crossover region (will likely sound a bit laid back I would think as the presenc region is suppressed.).

Also, even though it is crossed over high at 5khz, why no first-order and time-alignment, like Reference 3a MM De Capo Be? Even though the Ref 3a doesn't measure great it at leasts make good bass and is time coherent...a reasonable tradeoff in most cases for a less than perfect FR.

In the end JA is puzzled by the praise. I auditioned at length the more upscale WB Arc a few years ago and found it far to polite to deliver music realism.

This review strikes me more of a fanboy for WB position rather than a critical review. How could JM listen to full-range music with this speaker?? It is -20db at 40Hz and -6 db at 80Hz. Very much like some Infinity Modulus speakers I had many years ago (that were great when lashed to an equally good subwoofer).

Finally, there is the price...ridiculous for this performace! Since a sub is mandatory I would add another $2K to the sticker at least for a good Velodyne or similar.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.