Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Measurements vs. Reviewers

I find that frequency measurements are pretty useful, especially at the low end where rooms have the most effect. And that a top end that rolls off a bit sounds more like live music and not artificially bright. I spent considerable time balancing the position of speakers, listening couch and a small forest of bass traps and ended up with results that sound and measure pretty flat in the bottom four octaves.

Two important criteria for me, however, are not well represented in measurements: coherency and image size:

I discovered as a teenager that I was particularly sensitive to hearing the different directivity patterns of multi-way speakers. Many popular 70s era JBL speakers sound to me like the equivalent of a fun house mirror with multiple ranges of sound having different distribution patterns into the room. Which likely explains why I'm a full range electrostatic freak. I highly value consistent directivity across the entire range.

There are lots of compact monitors that measure great, have pinpoint imaging, etc. that never sound live to me. More like looking through the wrong end of a telescope. Miniature versions of reality. Or that I'm listening to the concert from a considerable distance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.