Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Measurements vs. Reviewers

I am 100% in the subjective loudspeaker evaluation group. Measurements are mandatory for designing loudspeakers, only.

Each of us comes to loudspeaker evaluation with a set of lifetime listening biases. I watched with a smile inside as a fellow reviewer measured my loudspeakers at my home. To me it was preposterous to think that a microphone 6 to 12 inches from the front baffle of the loudspeaker and a computer program would correlate to what I hear in the listening room, let alone describe what the loudspeakers actually sound like to "me".

It is my belief that when a loudspeaker is designed properly (by mathematics, CAD design, science and listening experiences) it is up to the listener to evaluate the speaker, not a microphone or computer. This is a human endeavor, listening to music and fine audio equipment.

Measurements have no business in *reviewing* loudspeakers. Waterfall charts are meaningless, anechoic chamber measurements are useless, do you live in one of these chambers? Each of our listening rooms is so different and measure as such that we need the critical ear of the reviewer or experienced listener to cut through the room bias and report on the perceived result.

I totally dismiss loudspeaker reviews that are based upon measurements, and you should too. Amplifiers? That's a different ballgame.

Peter B.
Editor, AVShowroomsforums, Editor, AVShowrooms

Edits: 08/19/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.