Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Measurements vs. Reviewers

If I am to consider a speaker, somehow or other I must become aware of it and that it might be worth auditioning. This might be from reviews, ads, or word of mouth, etc.

I use speaker measurements as a screening tool, when possible, and usually I only read speaker reviews which show measurement results. Soundstage provides a really good set of measurements for the speakers it can afford to measure, and Stereophile provides a good set, too. Audio Ideas Guide does its own set of measurements, which I don't like as well, but they are useful, too. As I have said before, my favorite speaker reviewers all do measurement: Doug Schneider, John Atkinson, and Andrew Marshall.

First off, I have found that speakers which measure really well sound quite good. I can't think of any exceptions, though there might be some. I do have preferences among some superbly measuring loudspeakers, for I tend to prefer a somewhat laid back sound, and that, too, seems to show up in the measurements.

Second, there are things some speakers do that I know I do like, and I have screened out a number of speakers with mediocre measurements. By that I mean I would not go looking for those speakers, though some of those have their fans, and if I came across them, I might audition them. A number here have made strenuous objections to the way I choose to come up with an audition list, possibly because I have screened out some of their own favorites.

So I think the sort of speaker measurements you provide can be very useful.

Lacking measurements, if several reviewers like a speaker, I may decide to audition it. Or, I may like the manufacturer and want to check out their wares. But I prefer to have a good set of measurements as it saves
When I do audition speakers, I do so quite extensively. I have several CDs which I have found show up differences in speakers very well, and before I buy a speaker, I will want a home audition.

-----
"A fool and his money are soon parted." --- Thomas Tusser

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Measurements vs. Reviewers - Pat D 11:38:34 08/19/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.